Forum

Zvezdara Church Reg...

Notifications
Clear all

Zvezdara Church Registers moved to the Government in 1947.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Doberdahn,

I apologise that this post is in English but look forward to studying Serbian in Serbia for 6 months a year when I retire.

I am gathering documents to apply for Serbian Citizenship under article 23 of the citizenship law.

I have a photocopy of my father's baptism certificate but I don't have an original.

I contacted the church where my father was baptised  inЦрква Покрова Пресвете Богородице in 1941 for a copy of his baptism certificate and a kind Father replied to me that the registry books were transferred to the Government in 1947. Would I apply to Zvezdara municipality for a copy of this certificate?

I do have official birth and citizenship certificates for my father but my lawyer says I do need a baptism certificate. 

I appreciate the responses I have received on this forum.

Posted : 17/10/2021 9:07 am
Zarevac
(@zarevac-3)
Estimable Member Admin

No problem, most of us speak English here. All church related documents are at the Church Archives and not at the municipality. I never heard that one needed a baptismal certificate, a birth certificate yes.

Posted : 21/10/2021 12:31 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

@Zaravec, thanks for the reply.  I don't know if it is usual, I have my father's birth certificate, but it doesn't include his or his parent's background.  For article 23, I need to prove I am the descendent of an ethic group resident in Serbia.  The baptism certificate confirms my grandparents as Orthodox Serbs. I have a photocopy of the baptism certificate but I don't think that will suffice.

I am tempted to apply for citizenship under article 18 as the descendent of an emigrant of Serbia, but both the consulate and a lawyer have advised me to apply under article 23.

Posted : 23/10/2021 8:22 am
Zarevac
(@zarevac-3)
Estimable Member Admin

Ok, birth certificates only have names and stuff. They dont list anything else. In this case you should approach the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Posted : 23/10/2021 12:08 pm
Share: